Poker Forum

coins
It is currently 26 Mar 2019 13:26

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Building a Bankroll From Freerolls
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2007 09:45 
PFO Elite

So you are broke, just a beginner, or cannot find a way to deposit into a site and you have turned to freerolls as a way to win real money. Don’t worry that you are sometimes called a “freeroll whore”, “bonus whore” or “free loader”. You can now turn those freeroll winnings into legitimate bankroll in a short amount of time.

Before thinking of actually building a poker bankroll and beginning to play real money tournaments, make sure you have a good understanding of NL holdem and other games, sit-n-gos, and multi-table tournaments.

The first step in starting a good bankroll from scratch is to find freerolls that can maximize your winnings in the least amount of time. Since they are all free, look for freerolls with low turnouts that offer good odds of placing in the money. A good place to start would be to researchpoker freerolls here at PFO. Private freerolls will most likely be your best bet due to the lower turnout and added money/bonuses to the prize pool. Be sure to check out the private events at PFO for a good selection of private tournaments. Begin playing freerolls to sharpen your skills and getting that bankroll started.

Ok, I have won money playing freerolls, so when should I begin playing the real money tournaments? I would say $150-$200 would be an ideal bankroll to start playing real money with. A tip to get you started: Lets say you have all this money at one site, I would cash this out and deposit at a new site for the first time to take advantage of the bonus offer. Make sure you read the terms and conditions of many poker sites to see what requirements they have for cashing out freeroll winnings. Some require a certain amount of raked hands or player points to be reached before cashing out.

For new players with a starting bankroll I would stick strictly to sit-n-gos until you can consistently place. Play buy-ins ranging from $3-$5, until your bankroll nears $400. You can then cashout $200 and keep playing at the same limits and repeating the process or up the buy-ins. Be aware that the play at higher buy-in sit-n-gos may be a lot different than the $5.50 or $11 sit-n-gos. As your game gets better try some multi-table tournaments as well as ring games. Ring games can be very dangerous however, because of the quick up and downs that are possible. You do not want to go on tilt and blow your money in just a few hands at a high limit table.

Remember to be patient, manage your bankroll, know your limit, and avoid tilt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2007 17:39 
PFO Elite

i only get money to play online from freerolls, i can deposit but choose not to, i currently have a 150.00 on ap from a ap challenge fr in which i came in second and came in 5th in omaha hi/lo to get that so i agree and its fun i am a free roll whore

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2007 01:55 
PFO Elite

Patience Is Key As Well As Knowing Your (most Lucrative) Limit And Sticking To It~!!!!!!!!!!

Money Management Is Key As Jwlaw Says.

Post subject: patience
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007 14:46 

patience is key but even after waiting for a monster you can still get beat by a stupid all in(example:yesterday my KK was beat by a 6 2) whatcha gonna do? it IS gambling right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007 22:04 
PFO Elite

knowing the ppl that keep hands like that is the key, making notes is a good way of doing this so u know who the donks are, able to lay down good hands and not go broke is another key, i am a good example of fr play, thats the only way i make my money just cashed 150.00 and still have 100.00 left all from fr's keep your mind in game and play a hell of alot of fr's lol that's main key. dont get upset just move on to the next one and take a bounty or two lmao

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007 14:54 

Can anyone suggest the more profitable sites to play on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2007 12:30 
PFO Elite

Biggspitt wrote:
Can anyone suggest the more profitable sites to play on?

You might try bodog and poker.com. Bodog has nice payouts and poker.com offers a 30 day new player freeroll tourney several times a day.

Post subject: buankroll
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2007 19:11 
PFO Preferred

I have won several freerolls now and built my bankroll up a couple times...
The bane of my existance is the sites that have blackjack...I just get greedy and end up loosing all of my money...guess I should stick to sites that don't offer blackjack...good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2008 17:22 
PFO Preferred

i think it's pretty awesome that sites offer freerolls, that's how i play in the buyins on the sites that have to high of deposits

[quote="The Tom"][font=Arial][size=84]So you are broke, just a beginner, or cannot find a way to deposit into a site and you have turned to freerolls as a way to win real money. Don’t worry that you are sometimes called a “freeroll whoreâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2008 18:17 

I have tryed doing this and it is very hard but fun. I have got my bankroll from 0 to 80 and everywhere inbetween

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2008 10:44 

my main problem is that just as i get a bankroll going, i end up blowing it one either a big tourney or a high stake table.

trust me gents, keep it small and slow-- grind it out baby!

-peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008 01:00 

I have built bankrolls from freeroll on a few sites. It's a grind but it can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008 14:02 
PFO Preferred

grind is right....remember jetset poker, they were the best for that.....
it's rough but it can be done

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008 14:27 
PFO Elite

smith1kn wrote:
my main problem is that just as i get a bankroll going, i end up blowing it one either a big tourney or a high stake table.

trust me gents, keep it small and slow-- grind it out baby!

-peace

That's not good, dude. Seems like a lot of people have this problem. You just have to have good bankroll management. Don't play higher buy in games if it's gonna kill your bankroll. Simple as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2008 17:38 
PFO Preferred

In ring games I will not bring more than 10% of the sites bankroll to a table. Lose that I reevaluate my play. Same for buy ins. Using that type of bankroll management has helped me allot. Oh by the way that 10% I never break. :dazed2:

Also if I double the 10% brought to a table I leave as not to lose it. To hard to keep it if I play till luck runs out or turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008 12:52 
PFO Preferred

i think you really have to adjust your play if you're going to a low limit ring game...people just simply don't fold..as far as br management..i can offer no advice on this..as i simply suck

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008 21:43 
PFO Elite

cow344 wrote:
In ring games I will not bring more than 10% of the sites bankroll to a table.

I know a number of people operate on the basis of a separate bankroll for each site, but I've never understood way of this thinking. For example, let's say I only play one one site, and I adopt a guideline of never brining more than 5% of my bankroll to a ring table. Now let's assume my bankroll is $500. That means I can buy in on a table for $25, which is the usual max. buyin at NL 25. And let's further assume I have enough game to play at that level.

Now let's take same total of $500, but spread it out, with $50 on each of 10 sites. I'm still the same player, and still good enough to play NL 25, but if I apply the same 5% guideline on a site by site basis, I can only buy in for $2.50.

That, IMO, is ludicrous. If my total bankroll is $500 and I'm capable of playing at the NL 25, level, my risk level does not change whether I play on one site or 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008 00:53 
PFO Preferred

I think the point of this rule isn't based on the level of your skill, but rather the fact that sooner or later we all hit a bad streak. Thats where the 5-10% rule comes in. If your bankroll is large enough, then you can recover loosing your entire buy-in. But if you loose your entire $25 bankroll on a $25NL buy in, then you're toast on that site---you either need to deposit, or go back to grinding freerolls.

Hope that helped explain things. :beer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008 13:36 
PFO Elite

I still don't get it. Let's say I happen to lose my entire buyin, which is going to happen once in a while at any level. If that was all the money I had on that particular site, and I want to keep playing there, what's the problem depositing?

One possible answer is that I have no way to deposit. If so, that's completely my fault - and a seemingly probable cause is that I never considered my bankroll as a whole. To me, it's not good bankroll management to have no way to move my money around. In actuality, I simply keep a fair proportion of my total roll in an e-wallet so I can (re-)deposit immediately any time I want to.

Another possible answer is that I have the funds but am not willing to deposit. That's an atttitude I once again don't understand or agree with because it's counter-productive. Since I'm assuming I'm good enough to play at the NL 25 (or whatever) level, I'll win back the $25; it's just a matter of time. What's more, since most sites offer reload bonuses, I'll eventually clear whatever bonus I get when I deposit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008 14:39 
PFO Preferred

Yes I agree with you. I don't have the patience and time to build a bankroll just off of freerolls. But lets not forget the title of this thread: "Building a Bankroll From Freerolls"

Most of the people who go about poker this way either
a. Cannot / Don't want to deposit
b. Just want to play / win free money
c. For the bankroll management practice

I myself have tried building a bankroll off of pure freerolls, but just ended up depositing. IMO, I think its more beneficial to deposit and get to work on the usual deposit bonus--but hey, to each his own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next