Poker Forum

coins
It is currently 08 Jul 2020 21:16

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2009 09:12 
PFO Preferred

Online poker was born from all the people watching how easy it all is on Poker TV. Next time you play in a tournament with a big prize pool remember the size of the prize is a direct result to the astronomical growth of online poker

Poker on TV has certainly helped my bankroll :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2009 13:19 
PFO Preferred

decker wrote:
It's entertainment for sure, most poker on TV is edited to show "action hands". You don't see the boring part...folding K,10 in early position, etc...However....you can still pick up a lot of knowledge by watching it, so I guess it can improve your game as long as you don't try to imitate the way the pros play on TV.

Very good reply, I would have to agree with you one hundred percent. These tourneys last for days and yet you only see a few hours of it on TV they literally pick all the exciting hands out of thousands played. It is strictly entertainment.

But I always love it when after an airing of a pro going all-in on something like J 5 off and winning, the next week or so online you see these fools trying to emulate what they saw thinking the hand is magical or something. They fail to understand what lead up to this or why he/she played this hand when they did. I see it all the time. I think one of the biggest ones is Doyle's 10 2, I constantly see fools pushing with this hand.

You all know what I am talking about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009 22:23 
PFO Preferred

Well yeah the commentators arent the best but what can you ask for you cant really tell unless ur the player against the opponent but I think you can learn lots off the players...

What about poker after dark do they edit all hands on that to or what ? I never noticed if they do it on that lol. I like poker after dark its my favourite t.v. show you get alot of people who are funny on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2009 06:35 
PFO Preferred

The show i enjoy the most is Poker After Dark. I think it gives the most relaxed atmosphere where the players are more open and intimate. (And the exit interviews are fun, much like The People's Court!)

Post subject: has helped me
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 01:37 
PFO Preferred

I have to say most shows don't help much, if any, but some of the things Mike Sexton says about percentages helps, like if you are holding pocket jacks there is a 50% chance that an ace,king or a queen will hit the board on the flop or if you have a pocket pair there is only a 11% chance of hitting a set on the flop. Things like this, that I hear instead of reading, seem to stick with me better. Anyway just my thoughts.
Take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009 17:36 
PFO Preferred

I think poker on t.v. can help to a point, but for me it seems that I just try to take different elements from different players and try to incorporate them accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009 22:18 
PFO Preferred

I think TV poker is great. It is helping cultivate the poker revolution. Anything that does that can't be bad. I like being able to see the player's cards and how they approach a hand. I liked watching last week on tv that Phil Ivey is human. He made flush on river with pocket 8's the other guy turned over his ace that showed up on river. Phil didn't read his hand close enough and threw his hand down into the muck pile, losing some 2 million chips in final stages of WSOP 2009 main event. How else without TV would anyone ever know that-- even Phil?

Post subject: TV
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009 13:15 
PFO Elite

Tv poker has not helped me one bit,in fact,It made my game alot alot worse.I cant watch it at all.Now that I havnt been watching TV poker,my game has come back and I am winning tourneys,or placing 2nd or 3rd when Im in a serious game.Ive won or placed top 3 once a day since this last Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009 14:02 

I don't think that televised poker has improved my poker game at all. They edit televised poker way too much. And also the commentators don't much advice if any that's of use to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009 18:45 

I think the tv actually helped me learn a little bit. I understood the values of hands alot better, pot odds, and it does help to know that the pros get smoked by donks just as much as me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009 22:53 
PFO Preferred

I like watching poker on TV the way it is edited. I don't want to see all the hands where the blinds are picked up by a late position raise. I get to watch enough of that while I'm playing online. As far as being educational, it introduced hold'em to millions of people. Watching on T.V. was the way I was introduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009 10:30 
PFO Preferred

Playing at PFO has helped my game a WHOLE lot more than watching it on TV. Thanx guys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009 10:34 
PFO Preferred

xxxxxxxxxxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009 10:38 
PFO Preferred

chucky wrote:
I wonder why texas holdem is the most popular game out their everyone plays in it everywhere you dont see to much of razz or omaha or badugi and stuff like that ?

YEAH, and why no Texas Hold'em Hi/Lo, or just lo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009 11:03 
PFO Preferred

Watching on TV certainly makes me want to get to the tables. I don't think it helps or hurts my play. The one thing it has done for me is made me aware that bad beats happen in live poker as well as on line.:beer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009 20:11 
PFO Preferred

Since I dont have cable in my new place yet... cannot speak to "new" poker. My favorite all time poker show was the old Celebrity Poker on Bravo. With the professor comentating with the guy from "talk radio". I used to watch that show a lot. Hahaha best poker play I've ever seen too.... or not.

Stix

Post subject: Re: how poker on tv has helped your game
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009 20:39 
PFO Preferred

Poker on tv has really helped me to understand how to play a final table. I watched a couple seasons of the WPT and I learned alot about what to do and how to play.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010 11:02 
TV poker hasn't helped me a great deal but it does show you how to play the final table.(lol) TV poker is entertaining and it helped me with the %'s and odds. It would be great if all of the sites flashed the numbers on the screen.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 21:54 

I would say it has helped me to understand Professional poker players more, and gain a lil insight as to the hands people play and why. So overall yea no maybe so is all i can say

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010 18:55 

I regularly watch poker on Tv and found it helped new ideas of how to play hands. I find highstakes poker and poker after dark are better than the recaps of the main event and other series. But sometimes I watch old events to take ideas and a reshape them into my style of play.