Poker Forum

coins
It is currently 04 Apr 2020 14:54

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barry Greenstien is an Idiot
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2009 05:53 
PFO Preferred

Barry analysis players on poker listings giving them a score in many categories, as well as an overall score. Apparently, Barry has an ego, and is an idiot. He has only given 3 players higher overall ratings then himself. Daniel Negreanu, Patrik Antonius, and Phil Ivey. Some people may like Barry, but he annoys me. This is one reason why. I admit Barry is a great player, but he certainly isnt the 4th greatest poker player in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2009 11:03 
PFO Elite

I disagree. Barry Greenstien is awesome. He's a great poker player and he's donated a good amount to charities. Don't know why you bash on him for stating he's up there in the top players, he's only being confident about his game. And that's exactly what you need to play good poker, confidence and skill. This guy is just great overall. So hate on him as much as you want, but he's still one of my fav's when it comes to pro's. I'm a bit tipsy and I don't feel like rambling on. But Barry, 1 . You 0 :beer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2009 11:47 
PFO Preferred

i admitted he was a great player, but I just dont understand how he can consider himself the 4th greatest poker player ever??? The guy has like 3 world series titles. Sure his cash game record is amazing, but there are much better overall players in the world. His ratings are terrible. For example, he gives Doyle Brunson an overall score of 6.7. IMO, and many others, Doyle is the greatest player of all time, and Doyle Brunson is better than a 6.7. Barry gave himself 7.5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2009 11:56 
PFO Elite

xxcwnxx wrote:
i admitted he was a great player, but I just dont understand how he can consider himself the 4th greatest poker player ever??? The guy has like 3 world series titles. Sure his cash game record is amazing, but there are much better overall players in the world. His ratings are terrible. For example, he gives Doyle Brunson an overall score of 6.7. IMO, and many others, Doyle is the greatest player of all time, and Doyle Brunson is better than a 6.7. Barry gave himself 7.5.

Doyle did a lot for poker, but he's no where near the greatest I'd say. Back in the day, yeah, but things have changed. He's just too old school with not so many new tricks up his sleeves like the new young bucks around. I'm sure the rating Barry was giving was an up to date rating, and not 10 years ago ratings. Shits changed man....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2009 00:26 
PFO Preferred

doyle sucks compared to barry.....i put barry right up there with negreanu and bloch

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 23:54 
PFO Preferred

I wouldnt say he is as good as he thinks he is.... but Barry is a great poker player and is defineitly in my top 20 players in the world......If you wanna talk about overrated players then i would say Helmuth is in that catogory, yes he is a good poker player and has the most WSOP bracelets, but he plays in over 80% of the WSOP games... so ya, its a lot easier to win bracelets when u can afford to play that much. Another thing.... Does Helmuth have a title in anything other then Hold'em........................ NO, he is not a complet poker play, end of story

lol thanks,
Bryce

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009 11:52 
PFO Elite

You have to admire the guy since he has donated over $2 million to charity from his poker winnings.

He's also not an idiot being a Ph.D. candidate at University of Illinois and was in software development before turning pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009 13:20 
PFO Elite

if 100 pros each voted on the top 10 best players my guess is that at least 25% would have themselves listed as the 4th best player or something like that. confidence is a good thing in poker so i'm not surprised he listed himself up there. everyone has their own opinion, personally i think a player like bertrand grospelier is better than brunson and hellmuth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009 13:40 
PFO Preferred

There is a huge difference between online play and live play as well there is a huge difference between tournament and cash tables. I watch barry all the time on pokerstars. He plays hi limit omaha and to be perfectly honest he loses a hell of a lot.
In my book the 2 greatest players in online tournaments are roothlus and annette. Annette once played a tournament where she could not see her whole cards and won. These players dominate the $100 buy in level lilholdem is another great online tournament player. Live play in tournaments I would say there are a lot of great players. And obviously in live cash games barry probably is in the top 5 players.

Annette Obrestad started her poker career online when she was only fifteen years old using the online screen-name "Annette_15". She claims she never had to deposit money on any online poker site. Instead she made her initial online bankroll by winning freeroll poker tournaments from which she went on to amass several hundred thousand dollars in winnings. Between September 2006 and February 2007,[citation needed] she won over $500,000 on Pokerstars, $200,000 on UltimateBet, and $136,000 on Full Tilt Poker.[citation needed] As of February 2008[update], Pocketfives.com, a site that tracks online poker, ranks her number 51. She also has been the site's top-ranked player in the past.[2]
In July 2007, Obrestad won a $4 buy-in 180 person online sit-and-go where she claims to have played almost the entire tournament without looking at her cards. She claims she peeked at her cards once during the tournament, when she was faced with an all-in bet. She did this to show "just how important it is to play position and to pay attention to the players at the table."[3] On March 2, 2008, she won first place and $20,000 in the Stars Sunday Hundred Grand, a tournament with a buy-in of only $11 but with a field of 20,000 players.[4] On June 8, 2008, she won first place and $35,000 in the Betfair Sunday $125k GTD Event. In December 2008, she won first place in the Ultimate Bet $100k GTD tournament

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009 01:33 
PFO Elite

WoodyMLB4 wrote:
I wouldnt say he is as good as he thinks he is.... but Barry is a great poker player and is defineitly in my top 20 players in the world......If you wanna talk about overrated players then i would say Helmuth is in that catogory, yes he is a good poker player and has the most WSOP bracelets, but he plays in over 80% of the WSOP games... so ya, its a lot easier to win bracelets when u can afford to play that much. Another thing.... Does Helmuth have a title in anything other then Hold'em........................ NO, he is not a complet poker play, end of story

lol thanks,
Bryce

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO I dont care how many friggen events you play how many bracelets does the guy have I have no idea!!!! So what if he thinks hes a hot shot a a stud at poker. You no how many guys play every single event in the WSOP lol a shit load. I member reading Jeff Madsens blog awhile ago and he tried playing as many events as he could. Did he win a bracelet that year nope. ROFLMAO and you dont have to play every game to be a pro lol.Im sure he would rape everyone at omaha just as badly and any other game lol. This is really disapointing to read

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009 01:35 
PFO Elite

MysteriousRon wrote:
Doyle did a lot for poker, but he's no where near the greatest I'd say. Back in the day, yeah, but things have changed. He's just too old school with not so many new tricks up his sleeves like the new young bucks around. I'm sure the rating Barry was giving was an up to date rating, and not 10 years ago ratings. Shits changed man....

And doyle is old school im sorry he just cant keep up with everyone anymore in the poker circuit. He was at one time a great player but is now just playing for fun. JUANDA NEGRANU IVEY run the tournament circuit now

Post subject: Ok guess I will put my 2 cent worth in here......
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009 20:22 
PFO Preferred

There are so many very good to great pro players but for the money my 2 picks would be KidPoker and Ivey for overall play and I would put them up against any other pro out there. Grospelier is one of the only other pros right now that
I think is playing consistently as good or better than these 2 right from what I have seen. But I am sure you could throw another 4 to 6 players with legitimate reasons into the mix and have a sound argument for them.

This is pretty subjective as there are so many different catagories and stats you could choose from, How many bracelets, cashes,titles etc. Tourney vs Cash games. Omaha, Stud, NL, PL etc etc even HORSE. Online vs Live

Barry kills in cash but I do not think he is the best in tourney play. Hellmuth is an ass at the tables but you cannot deny his bracelets but again he plays a big percentage of tourneys and I think for him alot of it is the numbers plus he plays against alot of amatuer or local low level pros. When he is put up against other pros especially cash game not nearly as good. Doyle who is another one of my favs is definately past his prime and should land in anyone's hall of fame but I don't think he is really into playing these long tourneys anymore. That being said I am not sure many of you would want to go heads up against him for your whole stack although it would be a story for your grandkids either way thats for sure!

Since I am a little older I am not really all that impressed by some of the younger online phenoms when it comes to live play except with a few exceptions.

The late Chip Reese was one of the best all around players there was and if you ask many pros they will tell you that. But we are talking about players we are talking about players still with us. Sooo many players soooo many choices...like I said you could toss in another 6 or so with legitimate reasons.

I wish they would still play the all-pro tournies they did a few years ago but I don't think they really have anything like that now other than the HORSE tourney @ the WSOP nothing else comes close in my book. Oh well.....next!:beer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009 01:01 
PFO Preferred

It's all subjective.... Enough to say that he's a top professional. As far as Greenstien ranking players-I don't believe he can be accurate doing that. Like poker itself, there are too many variables.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009 08:19 
PFO Preferred

Wow surprising that people are angry over Barry G giving his opinion about other poker players. Like any set of ratings, the ratings are only as valuable as the reputation of the player. If you don't respect Barry's opinion, then his ratings won't have much value to you. Personally, I would look at that as Barry thinks there are only three players better than himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009 17:48 
PFO Preferred

Doyle in my mind isnt the greatest ever...his back 2 back Main event wins had a total of 22 and 34 people that a total of 56 people...56 people get eliminated in the 1st hour of the tournament now a days

Post subject: Re: Barry Greenstien is an Idiot
PostPosted: 29 May 2010 04:59 

I dont think hes an idiot and he is one of the greatest cash game players in the world. he may not have th greatest tournament record but 3 WSOP Bracelets and 2 WPT titles is still a great resume to have.

PostPosted: 31 May 2010 15:23 
PFO Preferred

So if he gave himself a score like that then he surely hadto give Phil "The Loudmouth" Hellmuth a 2.0.

ha ha ha ha ha

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010 03:19 
PFO Preferred

When I read Greenstein's ratings I was surprised. Antonius is ranked far too high, and some players far too low. The whole exercise however comes across as arrogant even if it isn't meant to be. There almost seems to be two Barry Greensteins--the one at the table and the one away from it--and the one at the table seems to be a lot nicer. This is kind of the opposite of Hellmuth and Matusow.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010 09:55 
PFO Elite

illphillllllll wrote:
if 100 pros each voted on the top 10 best players my guess is that at least 25% would have themselves listed as the 4th best player or something like that. confidence is a good thing in poker so i'm not surprised he listed himself up there. everyone has their own opinion, personally i think a player like bertrand grospelier is better than brunson and hellmuth.

Ok, I know i'm quoting a post from last year, but I definitely agree with you phil. Bertrand Grospelier is a beast in poker, especially the tournament circuit. He plays fcking amazing poker. Very consistent in his cashes.