Poker Forum

coins
It is currently 19 Oct 2017 01:06

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 50outsToTheNuts
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009 15:04 
PFO Elite

Your my new best friend :) roflmao :vomit:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009 21:29 
PFO Preferred

Played some more 10c/20c limit 5 tabling. New bankroll $152.27, I'm officially rolled for 25c/50c! I released $10 of my holiday hundred bonus to boost me from 140 to 150. I think I'll start out playing 3 or 4 tables, and if I get down to $140 I'll drop back down, and if I get up to $170 or so and am feeling comfortable I'll try adding a 5th table. The average pot and players per flop correlate perfectly to 10c/20c games I was playing, so I'd expect it to be the same retards making the same bad plays, with the same marginal hands, but we'll see! I have a mechanics final at 8 am tomorrow, so I'll probably wait till after that to give 25c/50c a go!
cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009 03:49 
PFO Preferred

New bankroll 133.77, every pot i raised seemed to end up atleast 4-way at a 6-max table. I'd flop top pair good kicker, bet, bet, check call and see someone rivered their straight or two pair. Happened in several 8+ dollar pots, I'm kind of pissed, so I'm done for the night.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009 12:06 
PFO Elite

callmenuts you are playing limit hold em right? Im pretty sure you are and I admire that actually. Limit hold em was the first game I learned to play when i started online.. I read Jennifer Harmans section on limit hold em in super system II ten times. Its a very amazing read so check it out if you own super system II

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009 16:16 
PFO Preferred

Thanks, I don't own it, but I'm pretty sure I can get a hold of a copy from the library or something, so I'll have to check that out.
cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009 00:53 
PFO Preferred

Back up to $150.20, playing 25/50 again, I'm going to just play 3 tables, I'll quit as soon as I hit $140, I don't want to have to grind out another 20 dollars at 10c/20c, but hopefully i just win and don't have to worry about it!
cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009 19:30 
PFO Preferred

I think I might be too aggressive out of position. In limit hold em it seems that having control of the pot is hugely important, there are just so many pots where nobody hits the flop, so the person that raised or 3-bet before the flop takes it down, but I've taken it too far I think, and I'm frequently finding myself out of position firing barrels at pots when I've got complete air. I think I might tighten up my 3-betting out of position range and early position coming into the pot range. Especially from the blinds, I'll have a hand like KQ 3-bet, miss the flop continuation bet, get called, then I'm in no man's land on the turn. Especially playing a couple tables its just too hard to figure out if the board is likely to have hit them and if they'll respect my 3-bet then continuation bet.

Still not running very good at 25c/50c, but I've squeezed out a small profit. New bankroll 163.60. I've been just playing 3 tables, I think I'll stick with that till I'm more comfortable and not so worried about dropping back down to 10c/20c. I'm close to releasing another $10 of my holiday hundred so that should help!

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009 23:14 
PFO Preferred

I simply can't win at 25c/50c I've watched pros play short handed limit and as I'm watching I make nearly identical decisions before they make them, I have re-evaluated my game over and over and read and read, I can't win. At first I thought I was just having a downswing in my luck, but it shouldn't last this long, maybe I'm a losing player at 25c/50c?? I hope this isn't the simple truth, but maybe it is, I'm at $151.20, I just lost 19 dollars. I stepped it down to playing just two tables, still lost. After my first re-evaluation, I had been raising ace 10 and qj under the gun, 6-handed, and I decided that I would bump up my starting requirements to at least kq utg to raise so I avoid being out of position with a marginal hand more often, I am still losing. Bad beats are simple part of limit, but for a winning player they should more than balance out by the times they don't get lucky. I play aggressively trying to protect my top pair hands, it just seems that I don't make much on them when I win and when i lose I am getting check raised on the end with my top pair and losing a lot. By far the worst part of the whole situation is that I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I suppose I'll just keep reading, and make some more adjustments. I haven't had a single good rush of cards since I've moved up, at 10c/20c there'd be times where it just seemed like everything went right and I'd win 15 bucks, so far at 25c/50c my range has been plus 10 to down 20. Oh my, do I just keep plugging away and stay confident in my game until I hit $140 and move back down, do I try switching back to no limit or a mixed game, do I take a break and read some more, try to find some things to change and hopefully come back stronger? I honestly just don't know right now, I suppose its entirely possible that I have just had a really poor run of cards, I've been going through my hand histories after a losing session and I'm having a lot of trouble seeing where I went wrong. I've never felt like I might be a losing player, and I'm honestly not sure how to deal with it when I feel like I'm looking at my game objectively trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, can find nothing but am still losing.
cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009 23:26 
PFO Preferred

Lost another $5 I'm taking a break for the night. bottom two pair, 8's and 10's from bb got rivered by a flush, I check raised, bet, check called the river, lost a 6-dollar pot. 3 bet pre flop, my kq of hearts flopped a flush, lost another 4 or 5 dollar pot when another heart hit and the guy had ace of hearts rag.
ugh,
Chad

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009 02:21 
PFO Preferred

Have had kind of a rough break poker wise. I played way too much right at first and I burned myself out, I played while I was exhausted and tilty, lost a lot of money, spent the last couple days putting the pieces back together, I'm at $134 right now, but I've got $24 of rake back coming tomorrow, ya $24 back at the low stakes I'm playing in a week I got a little carried away, and I'm only a dollar away from releasing another 10 of my holiday hundred, so all in all I should end up back around 170 when its all done.

I did a lot of reading about how to avoid tilt, if you have read through part of my blog that seems to be the recurring theme. It is the primary thing holding me back from moving through the stakes, I'll play well build build build, then in one swoop shoot myself in the foot when the luck I had should've only warranted like a 10% downswing. Tommy Anglelo has some great stuff, I'm actually thinking about getting his book, I think its Elements of Poker. Anyway my favorite thing I read was his view on how to justify quitting when tilt hits, I'm on tilt, I'm not having fun, I'm going to quit this unfun activity. I'd never quite thought about it like that, but its actually a pretty good way to justify quitting to yourself instead of continuing to play on tilt. I highly recommend trying to justify quitting to yourself like this next time tilt strikes! He has another funny article on the EV of Mouse Smashing.

Merry Christmas,
Chad

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009 20:07 
PFO Preferred

Tried playing full ring 25c/50c limit, yes I am bound and determined to beat this limit somehow, I lost, new bankroll $149.06. Even if I'm a losing player at this limit I should be able to put together a winning session every now and then. I played 452 hands, saw 20% of flops, only won 47% at showdown. The majority of those losses were big pairs running into a turned or rivered two pair. I played pretty damn tight, I didn't tilt till right at the end, but I quit before I could start making bad decisions.

Interesting thing, I made one terrible play as soon as I sat down at one of the 6 tables I was playing. I tried to play it like a 6-max game and be too aggressive, the hand went to showdown and I lost, it seemed like I got a lot of action on that table and it was the only one I won more than a dollar or two at, in fact I finished up 10 on that table, recouping my losses quickly and still getting action after showing a few very good hands! Maybe there's something to sitting down making one bad play and then playing my game the rest of the time.

I have been trying to download the free trial of hold em manager and poker tracker, but I can't get postgrel to work, would really like to give this a go, but yeah.

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009 14:58 
PFO Preferred

I am a mixed game player. At mixed games I pay attention the most, have the largest edge on my opponents, tilt the least, and most importantly I have the most fun playing mixed games. Here and there I'll throw some other games in, but I think the staple of my poker diet will be mixed games for a good long while. I've tried playing basically everything there is to play on full tilt and I'm sure now that this is where my biggest strength lies. I was down to like 80 bucks about a week ago and pretty much solely on mixed games I've brought it back up to $182.46. So ya back to mixed games it is!

Got Super System 2 with some money from returned Christmas presents, you're right despise, it is a good read!

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009 14:51 
PFO Preferred

New bankroll $203.31! 7 weeks later I'm back up above the 200 dollar mark! I'm back playing mixed games and loving them! Before I play each session I've been reading an article called Folding by Tommy Angelo. It makes folding not seem like a bad thing and has tremendously improved my game and my outlook on it. Here's a link to it, http://tommyangelo.com/articles/folding.htm tell me what you think if you get the time to read it!

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010 15:37 
PFO Preferred

Had a bad run, coupled with some truly awful decisions and was down to $185, but got it together and am back up to $216.59! I'm getting better at quitting when I am starting to not play my A-game, but its still a work in progress. I'm just glad that I can deal with learning that type of thing when there's a small amount of money on the line, so hopefully by the time my roll is decent sized I'll have figured out how to play my A-game a very high percentage of the time.

Poker is kind of funny in that it makes people do things that seem completely counter-intuitive. We've read all about good strategy, but when it comes down to it there's something in our brain that compels us to do the opposite, even though we know that drawing to our flush against one opponent and a more than pot sized bet is a bad idea, we often do it anyway. But ya, I'm learning when to quit which is probably the most valuable thing a poker player can get a good feel for. I'm still loving the mixed games, they're just plain fun. I'm also headed to Blackhawk to play some poker tonight with a buddy, so wish me luck!

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010 17:16 
PFO Elite

Good luck tonight!!! :beer: Sounds like fun. And yes, knowing when to quit is HUGE. No sense throwing good money after bad.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010 05:50 
PFO Preferred

Thanks Frost! I ended up making $137, I played for a couple hours and only made it to showdown once, and it was a checked around turn and river. I felt like I played pretty solid and didn't really make any mistakes, I folded a made top end straight and open ended straight flush draw once when the action got a little too heavy, I had KdQc checked around flop board was 9c 10c 4h jc, and it turned out to be the right play and the difference between cashing out $137 up and $150 down!

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010 20:00 
PFO Preferred

New bankroll $235.06! I'm making my way to 300 slowly but surely, I feel like I've been running kind of bad lately, but I've managed to squeak out a profit, I've started playing some 25c/50c horse in addition to the 20c/40c 7-game, I've also quit playing PLO for the most part. I'll see a couple hands of the ten, but I play em really tight, I just hate the swings of that game. I'll grind my 5 buy in to 10 or 12 and then its anybody's guess as to whether I'll be felted or up to 40 by the end of the 10 hands, but all too often it ruins my groove and I'm upset by the end of it and have to take a break.

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010 15:38 
PFO Preferred

Hit the $250 mark! $50 more and I'm on to 50c/$1! I've started playing 25c/50c omaha hi/lo a little bit, in addition to horse and 7-game. I should get 10-12 in rakeback on friday too, so really not all that far to 300!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010 14:42 
PFO Preferred

New bankroll $300.37! I've been playing some heads up mixed games for 5 or 6 dollars, and I seem to win a lot of em, so I'll prolly keep playing those, and move up to 50c/1 omaha hi/lo, 7-game, and horse! I'll move back down if i get to $275! I'm still quitting before tilt strikes, so that ongoing obstacle is in check for the time being, but I'm still on the look out for the demon to attempt a comeback =) , but ya, all is well in my poker world!

I played for a little bit this morning and made $20. I think its kind of cool that my entire initial deposit isn't even that big a win now, its just an hour or less where I run pretty good. I'm excited about moving up to 50c/$1, it seems like a more worthwhile amount of money and my overall goal doesn't seem like such a pipe dream as I'm moving up in limits! Its also keeping me excited, having fun, and wanting to learn more and more about the game!

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010 21:46 
PFO Preferred

Jumping from 20c/40c or 25c/50c to 50c/$1 is quite the difference. The caliber of the players seems the same, but the swings are pretty big. It'll take a little getting used to, but its pretty exciting to move up and make twice as much money every time I sit down. New bankroll $356.92!

I've been playing a lot of limit omaha hi/lo, its a fun game and it seems like a really easy game to beat after just reading up on it a little. The section in super system and a video on full tilt poker academy has been enough to pretty well destroy the game. I watched kelly kim's video on 15/30 and the people he was playing against were just awful, so I thought that was encouraging that there's people that sit down with half a grand at these tables and play poorly. I still think I prefer the mixed games, but I'll def be working in some omaha hi/lo too!

cheers,
Chad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next