Poker Forum

coins
It is currently 16 Aug 2018 18:04

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 50outsToTheNuts
PostPosted: 27 May 2010 21:29 
PFO Preferred

Woo hoo! Took down the freeroll at Doyle's today! So I got 12.50 there! I decided I'd min raise about every hand from later position if nobody had already raised and it generally seemed like a good strategy. I took down a lot of pots with no resistance, and was lucky enough to catch some cards a couple of times when people played back at me. I think Trash72 had it about figured out that I was raising a lot, but not calling a lot of 3-bets, so he started pushing back a lot. I think I'll have to start playing in more forum games, its nice to have a friendly atmosphere and just have fun in a poker game without worrying about losing every now and then!

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 29 May 2010 02:57 
PFO Preferred

New roll $2306! Released my bonus and officially completed my original goal number 2! Now that I've done that I'll prolly quit posting my bankroll, but ya I'm pretty stoked to finally see that number in the cashier box! I think it'd be huge to get to supernova status by the end of the year, but it'll be kind of difficult since I didn't even have money there at the beginning of the year, but the FPP's really are worth a significant amount, and especially when I'm mass multi tabling, so I think I'll make a good push to try to get on pace this summer, and then hopefully I can just stay on pace when next school year starts. I need to average 8334 VPP's per month to get there and I'm currently at 31,568 so by the end of june I need to get to 58,334 to be on pace, I think thats a little on the too much side, but hopefully I can start getting closer to pace.

WHY CAN'T I USE MY FREAKIN BRAIN WHILE I'M PLAYING!!!????? I've been having a lot of well duhhh moments at the table lately. I am still pretty new to no limit and I often find myself not taking the obviously correct line to try and get paid off, or paying people off when I can't beat anything! I'm going to remedy this problem before I move up to 100nl. My decisions should be a little more automatic in a lot of spots too, so yeah going to try and play a little more focused and smarter. I 100% believe that I'm playing plenty well enough to beat the people I'm playing against at 50nl, but quite frankly I suck at no limit, the correct line is not so natural to me yet and I'm not really thinking it through that well, so yeah been giving away money in some not so standard spots, but luckily the people I'm playing like to give it back faster than I can give it away. Maybe playing a few less tables for a little bit would allow me to think through my decisions a little more until most become a little more automatic, or maybe I'll just start 24 tabling and learn through experience and session review. =)

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 30 May 2010 02:24 
PFO Preferred

Maybe I'm just being a bankroll nit, but I don't want to move up to 100nl. I'm making good money where I'm at, I feel like I still have a lot to learn, and some getting used to do for 16 tabling still. I think I should probably work through at least one pretty good downswing at 50nl before I move up too. It might be a shock if I just moved up and then had a huge downswing before I kind of got adjusted and confident that I can work through one at no limit.

Its very cool to see that several people have made over 100k in in the past year and a half at 100nl, I don't want that to be the destination for me, but some people have made that theirs and are solid pros at it. I think I'd like to get 400nl or 600nl eventually. At this point I would never want to deal with more variance than these games provide, but ya long ways off. For now I'm happy playing 50nl and developing my no limit game while making a solid hourly rate.

I used my head a little better today, made a couple good folds, I think, that I wouldn't have done a couple days ago. I still don't think through there range enough when I'm trying to get paid off, but I'm headed that direction so all is well! Now if I could just stop getting sucked out on in 100+ pots I'd be all set! I'm running a little below EV and I don't like it.

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 30 May 2010 03:43 
PFO Elite

if you start 24 tabling im gonna have to watch and see all of this in action lol. Ive done 32 a couple times but its hell lol. My brain functions at 24 but your bouncing all over the place like a fricking fly looking for some food hahahah. Comfortable zone is 12 man at cash games. You can do 16 if you want though but i wouldnt approach 24 in cash games. Good luck if you do man. Get on facebook more often man!

Great job on the bankroll to man.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010 03:45 
PFO Elite

and dam dude what is your GPA you seem pretty sharp

We would have a ball in Vegas together. You could tell me some crazy stuff I love reading your stuff

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010 01:53 
PFO Elite

so have you seen the Full Tilt Commerical based on Tom Dwaan I fuuck ing love that commercial its so Badass

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010 14:47 
PFO Preferred

Yeah, that commercial is sick! lol, my GPA isn't that good, but my major and school is pretty hard in all fairness.

I think it'll be a while before I start playing 24 tables, right now my style is too loose aggressive to do more than 16, but I really need to tighten it up. I think I could be more profitable playing more LAG if I was on 4 tables or so, cuz I hand read fairly well, but right now I'm just getting spewy trying to make a read that completely isn't there, and assuming that people at 50nl are thinking and have a reason to bet the amounts they do and take the lines they do, but ya I'm going to try to go more back to basics and make the obvious play unless I have a good reason to get fancy. I'll prolly also take the triple barrel bluff completely out of my game unless its a super draw heavy board and two blanks fall, but even in that case the third will be super small, I'm picking good spots to with the first two barrels and am definitely negative EV when I decide to fire the last one.

Anyway, its cost me 15 buyins from my peak bankroll, prolly 8 from getting boned and 7 from playing bad, but I'm going to make some adjustments and hopefully work through this!

Just talked to despise and am gonna use teamviewer to critique eachother's play sometime soon, and I'm super stoked for that! I've reviewed my game a little bit but I'm sure it'll be super helpful to get a non biased second opinion!

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 14:32 
PFO Preferred

I've decided the remedy for me getting too loose is to play some sit and go's. I think those will force me to pick better spots, so hopefully I can make a little bit at those and mostly improve my game and come back stronger when I transition back.

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010 00:49 
PFO Elite

where you at!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010 04:56 
PFO Elite

holy hell lol I just played a 14 table sng session and ended up exactly even down to the exact fucking penny lmfao. What a waste of my life lol. I bubbed in 4 of them god dam lol

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010 10:47 
PFO Preferred

haha, well you didn't lose money so I think you got nothing to complain about!

I'm going to continue to play full ring and work in some hardcore bum hunting at 50nl hu. I'll go back to playing whoever and trying to improve my game when I get back to my peak bankroll, but for now I'm only playing the person if they've lost money, generally play lower stakes, and haven't played that many hands. I think there's enough of these people out there to not have to wait to long to start playing and I'm in the middle of the worst downswing I've ever had so I just need to give myself the best possible shot at winning money and not play anyone because it will be good for my game for a while.

Welp I think I'm going to go watch bosoxx34's series on small stakes heads up no limit and then play well, and hopefully win some money for a change=)

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010 03:33 
PFO Preferred

Had to go run some errands and ran out of chips right before I got back in the freeroll today, but ehh what can you do. I finally made some money, I still ran 70 below my all in expected value, but made 3 buy ins back, so that was a huge relief! I ended up making it back 12 tabling 6 max 50nl plus some mixed games. I think 6 max might be a little more suited to my style, I like to find a reason not to bluff rather than a reason to bluff, so I tend to get in a little more trouble when people have a hand more at full ring and succeed a little more with my plays at 6 max, but yeah, we'll see how things go and if I switch games in a couple days. I've put in some time at LHE, NLHE, and Omaha h/l, and I think the thought process for NLHE with bettting and calculating draw equity for omaha h/l plus a little PLO experience kind of mix to give me a decent idea of what I'm doing with PLO, so if I could just learn the stud games, which seem relatively easy and mostly just math based, then I think I could be a really good mixed game player.

I feel like I'll look back and say it was really good for my game to learn a bunch of different forms of poker, but for the summer it will hurt my bottom line fairly significantly to not specialize, and on one hand poker is not a short term hobby so I should focus on long term profit, but on the other the only time the money I make will really be necessary for my life is this summer, so its kind of a toss up, but I enjoy moving around and learning everything I can, so I think I'll just go where the wind takes me for now =) I also really like Leatherass9 and Nanonoko's way of being a pro, so I'd kind of like to strive for that. It just seems like they've made a very comfortable lifestyle for themselves. They make plenty of money at a very low variance which would take a ton of the stress out of poker.

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010 14:14 
PFO Preferred

AHHHH!!!! I have got to stop bluffing without a really good reason. I'm throwing away a ton of money and causing myself a lot of unneeded frustration when I get called and feel like I shouldn't have. At this point that is the only thing that is tilting me, I can take the bad beats but ya, lots of frustration from failed bluffs. From now on if I'm thinking about bluffing I am going to take a little more time and make sure its actually a good idea.

I lost a bunch in a very short time and banned myself till midnight. I've got to quit self destructing.

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010 17:18 
PFO Preferred

I have a bad case of fancy play syndrome or maybe delusional range syndrome would be a better term. Out of game or when I'm just starting a new game, I think through entire ranges pretty well, but in game after I'm comfortable I'll often pick out a very small part of their range that I'd like them to have and tailor my line to that. I feel like I'm right often enough to keep me doing it and feeling like a genius, and prolly beating the games very marginally, but wrong enough to put a devastating damper on my climb through the limits and win rate.

It seems like this would be an easy fix, just think more or for longer, but for some reason its not. I've got a bad habit and I have to break it. This 20 buy in downswing could have probably been turned into a break even stretch if I played up to my full potential, I'm not running that terribly, mostly just playing bad, but I'm starting to seriously review my hand histories and take good notes on opponents and videos AT APPROPRIATE STAKES (I think watching videos of higher stakes is the root of the problem)

So ya working harder now than ever and going to make some serious steps in the right direction. I think blaming a bad stretch on running bad is the biggest mistake winning players make, and I'll have stretches where I play well and lose, but it always could have been a little smaller loss or have won a little more and this is the portion I'm going to work on relentlessly this summer.

Cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010 18:36 
PFO Elite

I'm no where near your caliber of player, but I have found that if I'm up a decent amount I start to "speculate" and start leaking chips. I have to mentally set a limit on at what point I'm going to leave that table.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010 00:31 
PFO Elite

Terminal Frost wrote:
I'm no where near your caliber of player, but I have found that if I'm up a decent amount I start to "speculate" and start leaking chips. I have to mentally set a limit on at what point I'm going to leave that table.

I watched him play a cash game session on Teamviewer he is really good about leaving a table if he doubles up. He said he was uncomfortable having a larger amount in front of him opens his range to much like you just said above. He will be back though he has sick bankroll management

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010 17:54 
PFO Preferred

Thanks Frost and Despise!

I think I am at a huge turning point with my game right now, I've been putting in a lot of study time and over the next couple weeks I'm going to become so much better than I am right now. I tried playing some mixed games, but got coolered several times and came to the conclusion that it'd take too long to get where I'd like to be if I really start going down that path, because I can only play a couple tables.

It feels like its been forever, but 2 weeks ago I had the same bankroll I have now, so in the grand scheme of things I'm on a very short term scale, I just hope that I don't have this bad of a swing for a very long time, and given the magnitude of this one, and my efforts to become a lot better, I think thats not out of the question.

I've moved down to 25nl 6max and it is way way softer than 50nl. A lot less 3-betting and a lot more calling flop raises and folding to c-bets. I just have to play a very straightforward game, pick good spots to get aggressive, and assume nobody is making a play on me, just take their action to mean exactly what it looks like it does and act accordingly. I've actually been doing a much better job with this in my last few sessions and think thats a great sign.

I need to play around with my buy in amount for a little bit and decide what the optimal stack size is for my style. Right now I'm getting kind of aggressive with my draws when I'm certain I have decent fold equity, so I don't want too small a buy in to be committed when this plan goes south, but I think if I was playing a slightly smaller stack then I'd have a little easier time coaxing people to paying off just a little bigger in marginal spots because I don't have that much left. Right now i'm playing an 80bb starting stack, I think I'll sit down and try to work through a few common spots where I'd like to have a smaller or bigger stack and try to figure out a number that looks optimal. At 25nl it could be the max since people will pay off in some pretty goofy spots, not really sure but gonna do what I can to find out.

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2010 05:29 
PFO Preferred

I can't win, I've made some huge changes to my game, my money won at showdown and money won without showdown lines have crossed in my efforts to play more of a showdown based game, but its hard when you can't win money at showdown. I'm thinking and making a fairly small amount of mistakes as I'm reviewing my hand histories, and certainly in comparison to the people I'm playing against, but I'm continuing to constantly get coolered, I've never run this bad in my poker career. I've tried like 8 different games all with the same bad results. I've lost almost 3/5ths of my peak bankroll and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong anymore. This is by far the most frustrated I've ever been with poker, and the most difficult part is that I don't know where to go from here. I simply can't win at any form of poker despite some huge efforts to improve, and in my opinion playing well. Maybe I just need a break, I literally feel sick right now, I'm down 1500 in the past 2 weeks at appropriate stakes the entire time.

cheers,
Chad

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2010 15:08 
PFO Preferred

http://www.evplusplus.com/poker_tools/v ... simulator/

Thats the URL for a variance simulator, and I kind of realized before that poker can be swingier than anyone expects, but that really opened my eyes to how long the long run is, and just how big of downswings someone can expect over a 100000 hand sample.

If you're a 7bb/100 winner and your std dev is 116bb/100 (my full ring nl stats) and you play a MILLION hands, you should have one break even stretch for a HUNDRED THOUSAND HANDS! and another where you just do a little better than that.

Thats insane, how can I be focused on my day to day results when my result for the whole summer is anything but set in stone. I revamped my game like 2 days ago, and when I review my hand histories I feel like I should be winning, but if I keep playing full ring nl all summer my results still won't be able to tell me whether I'm for sure even a winning player or not. THATS INSANE!!! I guess 30 buy ins is not even close to enough if you never want to be forced to move down. I wish there was an option where I could hide my bankroll on everyday except the first of the month, unless I hit a set amount that would indicate I should move up or move down.

Welp I guess I'll just try to play my best poker and keep making my best better, and reevaluate whether I'm a winning player or not when I can sign up for AARP.

poker is sick,
Chad

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2010 17:16 
PFO Elite

I feel for you, mostly because I'm in the same boat at ring and sngs but at lower limits. The usual bs losing AA to A5o, KK, 22 (twice) in the same session. None of my pp are holding but everyone else's seem to hit trips. Doesn't matter what or how I bet pre, the one guy that will suck out is the one that calls or reraises. Totally losing my confidence and feeling like I have no idea at all what to do.

I know it's variance, but it's pretty frustrating. Staying away from ring and FTP for the weekend and see what happens next week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next